Sunday, March 22, 2020

Moral Dilemmas

I was recently offered the opportunity to write for mountaineer.net, a new online news magazine.  The publisher is someone I knew from radio decades ago who I kept track of via facebook.  It turns out he was reading my posts, admired my writing, and made the offer.

I jumped at the chance.  Not for the byline or any other compensation, but for the stability.  A popular, current publication keeps me focused.  In my excitement I've written many, which he's been inundated with.  My other blogs have suffered, but I'm working on that.  Sadly, it's quiet times for Canadian cryptozoology.

In the process of getting reacquainted, I probably over-shared personal information.  I may have told him things about his older brother he didn't know-although I assumed he did, as we all worked together.  In any event, it was back in the 90's and has all been worked through, so it never occurred to me to be embarrassed or that it could possibly be inappropriate.  I don't, in fact, know if he WAS embarrassed, as I haven't heard a word from him since. 

I'm not in panic mode.  I know he is VERY busy and has a family and another job.  I haven't sent him any articles that are inappropriate in any way, as I know the publication has and wants to keep a very clean reputation.  Plus, it's only been a week and during that week there were a million changes due to COVID-19 that affected both our countries.  Mostly, he seems like a good guy with a terrific work ethic.  I think he would tell me if he had a problem or wanted me to stop submitting articles.

It made me think though.  I'm not often involved in professional
things with people from my personal life.  I put that behind me as I matured.  This editor and I were never "involved", and really barely knew each other, so that's not an issue.  But his friendship is kind of important to me right now and I hope I didn't screw that up.  More importantly, I hope outing his brother's choices from 1996-98 doesn't cause a problem with THEIR relationship.

I've presented him with a moral dilemma because I didn't think one of my choices through.  I regret that of course, but it kind of is one of my ongoing personality traits.  I'm also not very good at keeping secrets, so be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greta's World

I've been thinking a lot about Greta Thunberg.  She will be 17 in a couple of weeks and is an amazing young activist.  Hats off to her p...