Wednesday, January 15, 2020

In Dreams

What do you dream of?  Not the sleeping or trance like dreams; what sort of seemingly unreachable goals do you have?  I've been
thinking about this a lot since Ontario had a 70 Million dollar lottery a bit ago.

I started thinking of things I DON'T want.  I don't want to travel around the world, but I would like to see Stonehenge, a friend in India, and Cape Town.  I don't want a big house or a fancy car.

So what DO I want?  Hypothetically, if handed 70Mil I'd want a lot.  I'd want to first, put a third of it into some sort of stocks or account so I will always have money.  Then I would buy a car of my own.  Probably a van, actually.Then I'd buy a couple of small homes-three bedroom bungalow type things.  One at the beach in North Carolina, one in my home town,  and one here in Toronto should do it. 

I'd pay off a lot of stuff.  First, mine and hubby's debt, then my girls and our collective parents.  I'd set up small trusts for my grand kids.  I'd hire whomever it took to free Christina Boyer.  I'd build a family history research center in my hometown.  It would be huge, and include hotel type rooms as well as a cafe.  There would be a conference room and a theater stage.  And of  course lots and lots of research resources.  It would be free to use except for housing and food.  I've been dreaming of that for years.

Then I'd give to other charities.  My mom's efforts in South Dakota
would get a bunch of money.  Ronald McDonald House would also get a chunk.  Beyond that, the financial gifts would probably be to individuals.  A single mom can do a lot with a surprise $1000. Many churches need new roofs.  I'd give a few cars to deserving people.  I'd call my friend Diana and see if she still wants to do the center for newly separated women we dreamed of in the early 90's.

I'd do the necessary stuff of course.  I'd hire a housekeeper and an accountant.  I'd find a really good international lawyer.  I'd get my hair done and buy some nicer clothes.  I'd splurge on something Coach.  I'd also need a personal assistant, of course.  I can't keep track of my life now, so I know I couldn't if that lottery win happened.  Then I would take some time and think about what I can help on a bigger stage.  Drug prices are a big problem, as are homelessness and mental health.  I'd find a way to help there too.

I might even splurge on a fancy coffee-latte-cappuccino machine.  Putting a Starbucks in my house seems pretentious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Greta's World

I've been thinking a lot about Greta Thunberg.  She will be 17 in a couple of weeks and is an amazing young activist.  Hats off to her p...